Sportsmark & Artsmark
The prestigious Sportsmark and Artsmark Gold awards were accredited to Vandyke in recognition of the school's commitment to Sport/PE and outstanding programme of extra-curricular sport and performing arts.
After submitting its application for Healthy Schools status, Vandyke received a validation visit in November 2006 and again in 2010 from two assessors from Bedfordshire PCT who came to observe students and the school environment, as well as spending time talking with staff. That afternoon the assessors formally recognized Vandyke as a Healthy School . This is a national award and Vandyke is only the second Upper School in Bedfordshire to receive it.
A film crew visited Vandyke to interview staff, students, parents and governors. The DVD is a national campaign to illustrate the aims and benefits of the National Healthy Schools programme and was launched at the national conference earlier this year.
Click on the link to find out more about Healthy Schools.
International School Award
Vandyke has held the prestigious British Council International School Award (ISA) since 2006. The ISA supports schools to develop:
- An international ethos embedded throughout the school.
- A majority of pupils within the school impacted by and involved in international work.
- Collaborative curriculum-based work with a number of partner schools.
- Curriculum-based work across a range of subjects.
- Year round international activity.
- Involvement of the wider community.
- Evaluation from a variety of sources allowing you to improve your activities and your international programme.
Vandyke’s portfolio of evidence for the ISA included information about:
- Joint work with our partner schools in Arua, Uganda, Fatick, Senegal Cape Town, South Africa.
- Events the sixth form students have organised to raise money for Smile Malawi which funds a home for AIDS orphans.
- Curriculum work with an international and cross curricular dimension e.g. the English and Humanities Year 9 South Africa module.
- School trips and visits abroad e.g. to South Africa, France, USA, Germany and India.
- Activities organised with community groups to promote fairtrade.